Support is provided through DianHua’s User Voice site. Feel free to provide suggestions and submit problem reports.
Frequently Asked Questions
To study using DianHua Dictionary’s Flashcards, you must first Bookmark entries in the dictionary. To create Bookmarks, complete the following steps:
- Touch the Search tab to search the dictionary.
- Search for a word you want to study. For the purposes of this example, search for “hello”.
- You should now see a list of entries in the dictionary matching your search criteria. Touch the “你好” entry.
- You should now be on the definition page. At the top, right of the page, there is a plus (+) sign, or Add Bookmark, button as in the screen-shot below.
- To create a bookmark, touch the Add Bookmark button.
- You should now see the Add Bookmark screen. It allows you to file your Bookmark into any number of folders, much like a web browser allows you to organize and categorize web site links. You can either type in the name of a New Folder in the box at the top, or you can select from the list of existing folders.
- If this is your first Bookmark, the list of Existing Folders will be empty. While you could file everything in the “root” folder, it would be best to use folders so type “Greetings” into the “Create a New Folder” field.
- Now touch “Save”.
That’s all it takes to create a Bookmark. Note that the next time you create a Bookmark, your Folder selection will default to the one you most recently created/selected. You can touch the “Bookmarks” tab at the bottom of the screen to view your newly created Folder and Bookmark.
The next step is studying Flashcards using the Bookmarks you have created.
- Touch the Study tab.
- In the study tab, you are first provided a list of all of the study tools. As of this writing, the only two available tools are Flashcards and Typing/Writing. The setup on either tool is basically the same so these instructions will focus on Flashcards.
- Touch the Flashcard row.
- You should now see the Flashcard Settings.
- The first Setting is called Order. This setting determines the order in which your Flashcards will be displayed. Use Random Order the first time you study a set of Bookmarks to make sure you see each card at least once. This will help initialize the Difficulty Order algorithm. Use the Difficulty Order if you want to see Flashcards you find more challenging, more frequently.
- The second Setting is called Front. This is a list of dictionary fields you can select for the Front of the Flashcard. Select all fields you would like.
- The third Setting is called Back. Like Front, it is the list of fields you would like to see on the back. Hint: In my studying, I’ve found that I learn Chinese characters better if I put them on both the Front and the Back.
- The final setting is called Bookmarks. This is a list of folders you have created. Indentation shows the full hierarchy as you have created it. Any folder you select will select that folder and all of its descendants.
- To study the Bookmark created in step 1, use the default settings and make sure a check mark is shown next to the “Greetings” folder.
- Touch “Begin” in the upper right to be taken to the Flashcards.
Right now, DianHuaDictionary.com does not provide an export that will directly work with Anki. However, using a Spreadsheet or a custom Anki Model, you can easily move your DianHua Dictionary Bookmarks into Anki for studying. There are two methods:
Modify the DianHuaDictionary.com Export
Anki expects its import files to have 3 fields:
The DianHuaDictionary.com export file contains 5 fields:
To create an Anki compatible file, open the DianHuaDictionary.com export file in a Spreadsheet application and copy/paste/delete columns as appropriate to create the Front/Back as needed. For the Tags column, you could use the Folder field to help categorize the Bookmarks inside Anki. Make sure you save in UTF-8, then import the new file into Anki.
Create a Custom Anki Model for DianHua Dictionary
By creating a custom model, Anki will be able to import DianHuaDictionary.com’s export file directly. Follow these instructions:
- Open Anki.
- Go to Tools, Deck Properties.
- In the Models and Priorities tab, click Add.
- Select “Copy: Basic” and click Ok.
- Select “Basic copy [0 facts]” in the Models list and click Edit.
- Change the name to DianHua Dictionary.
- In the Fields list, add: Simplified, Traditional, Pinyin, English, Folder (IN THAT ORDER).
- In the Fields list, remove Front and Back.
- While here, make a Card Template.
- Click the Card Templates tab.
- Select Card 1 (Forward).
- In the Question field, type: %(Simplified)s
- In the Answer field, type: %(Simplified)s
- Close out of the two Dialogs and go to File, Import.
- Select a CSV file that you have exported from DianHua Dictionary.
- Click the “Auto-detected delimiter” and change from “/” to “,” comma (don’t type the quotes).
- Make sure the Model field is set to DianHua Dictionary.
- Click Import.
You should now be able to study the information from the export file with Simplified on the front and Simplified, Pinyin, and English on the back. Use the Card Template properties to change the front and back as appropriate.